Monday, November 17, 2014

Getting Healthy


**like with last time if you’re reading this thinking I’m trying to get down to visible hip bones and collar bones or that somehow I can give you tips and tricks in that way don’t bother reading this it’s not about that. However on the contrary if you’re interested in gaining a healthy balance in your life both physically and mentally be my guest.

In the beginning of the year I spent most of my time between the gym and going to work. This meant I took extreme care of eating right, exercising daily and keeping my body at peace both mentally and physically. The difference a positive mind and a healthy body makes in my field is extreme. However as I switched jobs, locations and added on more hobbies and school work health hasn’t been my main priority and it’s starting to take its toll. Starting with the decrease of my mental happiness which in turn makes me physically tired most of the time, and the large amount fast easy food that comes with an easy busy life and no motivation makes me nauseous, making it all worse. It’s come to the point where I need to make changes again to return that healthy balance to my life. I try and fit in three Pilates sessions a week with doing yoga once a week (I’m still on a jogging ban as the cars are still somewhat confusing here) so I’m focusing on food to benefit my attempts of exercise. However that of course is more easier said then done because a) It’s hard to keep to a healthy promise much like it is to keep a new years resolution (that’s why I thought documenting it might help, a little social pressure never hurts in a positive atmosphere) and b) because I’m off to a rough start. 
I decided to start slow by managing my meals and meal times. I quit stress snacking on artificial sugar by replacing that with fruits and made sure to make my three main meals a tad larger, mainly by trying to add more veggies to them. But there’s only so much you can quit cold turkey and therefor I allow my self to junk out a little on weekends. The hardest part on focusing health on food is that I am a horrible cook. I really can’t do gourmet probably because I’m best known for my cup noodle skills. (Bitless and Chunkyless noodles anyone? coming right up) My current roommate being the amazing culinary artist she is usually handles the more complex dinners, but seeing as I was home alone and hungry I decided I could make myself a little bit of something easy. Luckily through a friend of mine I learned how to make wicked quesadillas on a student budget and seeing this week’s taco dinner had left over materials I wouldn’t have to get out my flannel onsie and head to the nearest waitrose. However, I was never the one who got to fry the food, and today I learnt the reason why. Apparently when frying, and living in a small apartment in a housing complex it is important to either a)turn on the fan that sucks in the smoke b)open a window, or at least the kitchen door or c) both. I did none. My third day living in my first own apartment I single handedly not only burnt my quesadillas, I had my next door neighbours on our shared balcony ready to burst in with a fire extinguisher and some other neighbours outside trying to see where the fire was at. Apparently when the smoke detector is on long enough it alerts the other flats, and seeing as I lack in height, the kitchen chair didn’t suffice for me to reach the alarm to turn it off.  After struggling around in panic trying to find pillows or books or anything to increase my height on the chair, I found my platform mules laying on the living room floor as a remainder from the night before. I finally reached the alarm and got it to turn off, but not in time for me to save my dignity. Having to first tell my next door neighbours to put away the extinguisher because I’m a shitty cook and there is no fire, only burnt horrible tasting quesadillas, I had to step outside and explain the same to a bunch of worrying people who also live in this building. As much as I love fashion I don’t think I’ve ever been as grateful as I was today for the invention of high heels, without them I would have probably alerted a team of firemen to come see what a horrible cook I am. 


Well day one of the 5/7 veggie month challenge, it can’t get any worse now can it?



(PHOTO ATTIRE)
(Sports Bralett - Calvin Klein)
(Black Cap - Camden Street Market)
(White Ripped Mom Jeans - TopShop)

8 comments:

  1. ey try this tho
    http://theconsciousstudent.com/category/food/
    healthy veg and most of which you can keep in tupperware in the fridge for like a week (cook once a week, microwave 6 times >:D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny Lotta :) hope you've improved your skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, not too sure, I just try to stay away from the frier :) x

      Delete
  3. I always love your stories on your blog, but I think this one has to be my all time favourite :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahhhaaa...at least you got to know your neighbors ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true :) They all seem really nice :) x

      Delete